February 27, 2013

Book Club: Pynchon News

In the Book Club section I have written about Thomas Pynchon's books Gravity's Rainbow. I loved Gravity's Rainbow the second time I read and thanks to kt1000's recommendation loved Pynchon's Mason & Dixon. I've since read The Crying of Lot 49 and have seen the genius in that book.

A few days ago it was announced that Thomas Pynchon will release a new book in September called Bleeding Edge. According to Sarah Weinman the book will be set in New York's Silicon Alley (I had no idea such a place existed) and will be about “the lull between the collapse of the dot-com boom and the terrible events of September 11.” For now that's all what we know about this new Pynchon book.

I haven't read Pynchon's last two books after Mason & Dixon, Against the Day and Inherent Vice. Maybe I've been too scared from the reviews of his last two books, but I've been afraid to pick them up. Maybe I should try them and make my own opinion on them.

I mention Pynchon's last two books because I really don't know what to expect from his upcoming book. The time frame definitely has my interest. Pynchon's view of pre-911 New York has my interest. Pynchon's view of the dot-com era has my attention. So what makes me skeptical about it? The fact that his last two books were seen as either a letdown or not up to his level.

Now I know that's not fair to his upcoming book. I shouldn't judge this book before A) it even comes out or B) because his last two books weren't up to his standards. Still though I'm worried. I like to think of Pynchon in terms of The Crying of Lot 49, Gravity's Rainbow, and Mason & Dixon. I also know that's not exactly fair to Pynchon because it's like expecting your favorite baseball player to keep playing forever at a high level. It's not possible and shouldn't be expected.

So will I buy this book? Probably because like I said I'm interested in Pynchon's unique take on pre-911 New York and the dot-com era. I obviously don't know yet if I'll be let down or as excited when I finished Gravity's Rainbow but unlike his last two books, I have to try.

4 comments:

  1. Give Inherent Vice a chance. It's a fun little Pynchon take on hard boiled crime/detective fiction. But I never finished Against the Day. What a fucking slog that was. But, I could see where it would be appealing for a steampunk fan.

    The best novel I've read about the dot-com era was Kurt Andersen's Turn of the Century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give Inherent Vice a chance because it's one of his shortest works. What do you think of this news though? Intrigued?

      Delete
  2. Against the Day was horrible. Pynchon at his absolute, indulgent worst. Vice I never thought was anything special, but not bad either. I'm definitely interested in this new book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The subject matter should definitely be in Pynchon's wheelhouse. I can't wait to see what connections he makes in it.

      Delete