Cubs announcer Len Kasper penned a column on what he would do as the baseball commissioner for the day. Interesting concept and I liked some of his ideas but I got some ideas of my own and they may be a little more drastic. Here's what I would do as a commissioner for the day:
- I would work with the Umpires union on a compensation package to rid the league of the bad umpires. It doesn't have to be ugly, offer a generous package, and rid themselves of bad umpires or umpires with red hot tempers.
My list of umpires I would try to get rid of: Joe West, Angel Hernandez, Bob Davidson, Tim McClelland, Laz Diaz, and CB Bucknor.
Unlike the NFL and NBA, baseball also has a minor league system like the teams for the umpires and could easily replace umpires like West and Hernandez.
- Replay in baseball will be implemented for all calls with a 5th umpire in a box looking at the replay. Umpires wouldn't leave the field they would just call up to the booth like they do in college football.
- I would balance the schedule. 19 games against each divisional opponent is way too many. Make it 15 games against each divisional opponent with 5 three-game series' with one team receiving the extra home series and rotating every year.
- I would send Houston back to the NL and put Colorado or Arizona in the AL West like it should have been.
- Taking Kasper's idea of either ridding themselves of Interleague or devising a schedule where every team plays each other.
- Every team would be required to play a day game during the week for their get-away game. Only a handful of teams like the Giants and A's play day get-away games during the week to finish a series. This also makes the travel easier for teams that have to play a game the following day in a different city.
- I would end these idiotic blackout rules that we see in Iowa and North Carolina. I would also end the blackout rules on MLB.tv. I pay a lot of money for MLB.tv and I want to watch the Giants on my phone despite living in their broadcast area.
I'm sure none of these ideas would work but I would give it a try.