June 19, 2012

Foul Ball: Dickey! & Craziness in Ohio

I don't have enough time to recap all the games, but I would like to recap a couple of fun games last night. 

Dickey Does It Again: Think of all the pitchers that have pitched between 1988 to 2012. You're thinking of names like: Martinez, Maddux, Glavine, Johnson, Clemens, Halladay, Lee, Lincecum, Mussina, Sabathia, and many more. Do you realize that none of them ever threw back-to-back 1-hitters and R.A. Dickey has? Yep Dickey last night became the first pitcher since Dave Stieb in 1988 to throw back-to-back 1-hitters.That's just incredible to think about. That out of all the great pitchers we have seen over the years, R.A. Dickey is the first one to complete back-to-back 1-hitters.

Dickey right now might be the best pitcher in baseball and his BABIP doesn't suggest he's going to regress. Translation: Dickey isn't pitching well because of luck, he's just pitching well. It's going to be interesting to see who Tony La Russa chooses as his starter in the NL for the All-Star game.

Craziness in Ohio: I gotta be honest with you folks right here. I hate Matt Latos. I hate his blonde hair. I hate his tattoos. I hate that he threw a baseball over the left field bleachers in San Francisco that broke the sun roof on Dave Flemming's car. I hate his wife. I hate his ugly face. I hate everything about Matt Latos. That's why this story of him even thinking about Cleveland Indians "stealing" signs brings a big fat smile to my face.

Latos got lit up last night in Cleveland, giving up 3 home runs, 7 runs, in only 4 innings. It was beautiful seeing Latos dissected last night by the Cleveland lineup. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

The Indians though weren't much better than Latos, specifically Derek Lowe. Lowe gave up 11 hits, 7 runs, in only 5 innings of work. This created a crazy game where both teams too leads and blew them. One lead blown by Cleveland saw Johnny Damon run into the third base line wall, fall down, let the ball roll to the outfield wall, allowing Brandon Phillips a inside-the-park home run. Cleveland finally took the lead in the 6th off a Casey Kotchman single (Like I said, crazy game). In total there were five home runs hit, 19 combined runs, 27 hits, and one Latos tantrum. Perfect game in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment