July 9, 2012

Talkin' Baseball: First Half Impressions

49er16: Well what were your impressions of the first half?

The Colonel: My first impression, meh. The season so far has been a mixed bag. Trout and Harper have finally given baseball an nice injection of youth. And it's nice seeing the Pirates and Nationals lead their respective divisions instead of the Cards and Phillies. There isn't a team though I would call dominating that makes things interesting. Sure the Rangers are good but they have flaws and the Yankees are good but they're just winning a war of attrition in that division right now.

49er16: So you want a dominating team? You think that makes baseball interesting?

The Colonel: Yes. Like it or not but a dominating team draws attention and I'm one of those saps that likes watching dominating teams. Right now all the teams leading their divisions are all meh.

49er16: Upcoming teams like the Nats and Pirates don't interest you?

The Colonel: Not much. I'll watch Pirates, Nats, and maybe the Indians because I like baseball, but I don't have to pretend like they're playing good baseball. The Nats can pitch but they're like the Giants, can't hit even with Harper.

49er16: If I was honest, I would agree with your assertion that the season so far has been pretty meh. While it's nice to see new teams in the division leads those teams really aren't that great. It's more of a product of the rest of the teams being mediocre. I saw an SBN Baseball Nation post where there are like 22 teams within a grasp of a playoff spot. That's a sign of mediocre teams.

The Colonel: Exactly. The baseball season so far is one big heaping pile of mediocre. And when there is mediocrity the interest wanes. And truthfully my interest in baseball this year is waning.

49er16: I'm still happy though to see a couple of teams that haven't either seen the top of the standings ever or haven't been there for a while. Plus Harper and McCutchen are fun to watch.

The Colonel: I would be lying if I said I don't enjoy watching McCutchen play. His combination of speed and power is great for the game.


49er16: Should we even discuss how stupid teaming up home field advantage with the ASG?

The Colonel: No. Leave that up to baseball writers who have nothing to write about.

49er16: Moving on then. Did you see Zach Greinke pitch on Saturday, get thrown out, and then pitch Sunday only to get shelled in 3 innings of work? Plus he's pitching in the Brewers Friday game making him the first pitcher since Before Christ to start in three straight games. Maybe the Giants should do this with Bumgarner, Cain, and Vogelsong and just take Lincecum and Zito off the team.

The Colonel: Instead of the Rockies 4-man rotation, a 3-man rotation? Nice idea but make sure Joe Maddon doesn't steal it and have sabermetrics people tell him how smart he is.

49er16: MADDON IS USING A TWO-MAN ROTATION! LET'S ALL SUCK HIM OFF, RUB HIS THIGHS, AND FEED HIM GRAPES BECAUSE OF HOW SMART HE IS!

The Colonel: MADDON IS IS USING NINE PLAYERS ON THE FIELD? GENIUS! LETS SEE A LOSER LIKE BUCK SHOWALTER OR CLINT HURDLE THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX LIKE THAT.

49er16: THEY CAN'T THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX LIKE THAT BECAUSE THEY'RE LIKE, "DUR, DUR, THERE'S SUPPOSE TO BE NINE MEN ON THE FIELD. WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THE LEFT FIELDER OUT OF THE GAME?"

The Colonel: So what are we suppose to do now for 4 days?

49er16: Watch the Home Run Derby and ASG of course.

The Colonel: I'd rather get water boarded than listen to Berman call grown men taking batting practice.

49er16: Oh come on. I watch the derby hoping one of the kids shagging fly balls gets hit by a line drive.

The Colonel: That would be awesome. Too bad Stanton is out of the All-Star game. It would have been nice to see him hit a laser shot that hits one of the kids.

49er16: What are you looking forward to in the 2nd half of the season?

The Colonel: I want to see if any team really distinguishes itself as the best team in baseball. Yes the Rangers are good but let's see them really kick some ass. I'm also interested in seeing if the Pirates can keep up with this pace. Their pitching should be fine, but will their hitters continue to play well? I'm also interested in seeing if Arizona will really pull the trigger on Justin Upton.

49er16: There's no way they actually trade Upton? I mean you would have to be crazy to trade a talent like Upton.

The Colonel: Well judging by the crowd reactions to him and the way their general partner blew him up in the press a month ago, I wouldn't be surprised if he does get traded. Not saying it will happen, and yes you would have to be crazy to trade Upton right now, but it wouldn't shock me if it did.

49er16: I know we both hate predictions, but who wins the divisions and wild cards?

The Colonel: AL East: Yankees, AL Central: Tigers, AL West: Rangers, Wild Cards: Angels & Rays

There are too many factors going against the rest of the teams in the AL East not to choose the Yankees. I still believe the Tigers will make a run after the break and into August blowing past the White Sox and Indians. The Rangers will win the division and the Angels will be the first wild card and I think the Rays will eventually blow past Baltimore.

NL East: Nationals, NL Central: Reds, NL West: Giants, Wild Cards: Dodgers & Braves

Nationals have enough hitting to keep pace with the lead in the east. The Pirates I think will fade and the Reds are the more well rounded teams in the central. The Giants are going through a rough patch right now but I think they'll eventually win the West. The Dodgers will be good enough for a wild card and I like the Braves more than New York.

49er16: AL East: Yankees, AL Central: White Sox, AL West: Rangers, Wild Cards: Angels & Orioles

I agree with you about the Yankees. I think the White Sox though win the AL Central. Keeping up with the doom and gloom theme for my friend RJBO. The Rangers win the West and the Angels and Orioles will be the wild cards. I'm sticking with the Orioles because there won't be a team from the central that will win the other wild card and the Rays are too injured.

NL East: Nationals, NL Central: Pirates, NL West: Giants, Wild Cards: Braves & Reds

Agree with the Nationals. I think the Pirates will keep up with this pace because their lineup finally looks professional. I'm not buying the Dodgers so I have the Giants winning the West with the Braves and Reds winning the wild cards.

The Colonel: I call that a Dodger bias.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Arizona would be willing to part ways with Upton.

    ReplyDelete