July 2, 2012

Talkin' Baseball: ASG Selections, Snubs, & Is Baseball to Expensive?

Did you know the ASG is in KC? Neither did I.
49er16: So are we ready to talk All-Stars?

The Colonel: No, but I'll give it try.

49er16: First off I find it to be hilarious that Phillies and Cardinals fans are crying about Giants fans stuffing the ballot boxes to get Posey in as a starter over Ruiz and Molina. I'm sure Phillies or Cards fans have never stuffed the ballot box for their own players in their lives. Give me a fucking break.

The Colonel: We both agree Sandoval shouldn't be a starter, right?

49er16: Agreement there. Mets fans should be pissed Wright didn't get that nod. Sandoval starting is a joke.

The Colonel: Okay good. Back to your point now. What most people don't realize is that the majority of these All-Star games aren't even decided until the mid innings and after once all the starters have left. I don't even pay attention to the All-Star game until at least the 4th inning once I know all the Red Sox and Yankee players have left the field. Posey probably won't even be a determining factor in the outcome of the game. And what if Ruiz and Molina are the deciding outcomes for the NL? What will Phillie and Cards fans say then?

49er16: Also what about the argument that Posey is more marketable as a player than both Molina and Ruiz and MLB might want him starting instead?

The Colonel: I'll buy that reason because of one thing only, Posey is younger. MLB needs young players for fans to identify with and Posey is a good one for fans. Also I should point out this is only an spring training type of game and MLB should have their fans involved in the game that is for fans.

49er16: Well then Cards and Phillies fans would say this game is for home field advantage in the World Series and say that's why Ruiz or Molina should be starting.

The Colonel: And then I would reply that once again most of these All-Star games aren't decided until the middle innings and after. Will Phillies fans cry if Ruiz knocks in the game-winning run?*

*It should be noted that Phillies fans cry about everything. They would definitely whine even if Ruiz knocks in the game-winning run.

49er16: I'm going to go back in full fledged homer mode and ask how the hell did Madison Bumgarner and Ryan Vogelsong get snubbed?


The Colonel: I think that has more to do with the "everyone gets a ribbon rule" (every team is represented by a player at the all-star game). I would think both of those guys are on speed dial if one of the other pitchers go down. Especially Bumgarner's number. Vogelsong should also be a replacement because he's on an incredible streak of quality starts.

49er16: I would hope so because both of those guys were snubbed badly. Hell I would be in favor of removing Sandoval from the team just to replace him with either Bumgarner or Vogelsong.

The Colonel: If Sandoval takes anymore trips to Santa Cruz, he might remove himself from the all-star game.

49er16: Speaking of snubs, did you see La Russa and Dusty Baker trade barbs at each other over Reds snubs?

The Colonel: I'm not going to lie, but the La Russa-Baker feud is one of my favorites of all-time. Such bad blood between these two. I think they should have a real life celebrity death match.

49er16: Sandy Alderson also got off a blast about 9 million New Yorkers were out voted by 900,000 San Fransicans. Since Alderson is an asshole, I won't complain about Sandoval now.

The Colonel: I'm with you there. Fuck Sandy Alderson. The hot air between him and La Russa is responsible for all global warming in the world. Also I guess Alderson doesn't understand this whole concept of a metropolitan area, but then again the New York metropolitan area is much larger than the Bay Area so he should rip Mets fans.

49er16: I wish I could bottle up all the Mets, Cards, and Phillies fans tears and drink them right now.

The Colonel: Let's get back to actual baseball, you still hanging onto that Oriole bandwagon?

49er16: The Orioles are so May. I'm on that Pirate bandwagon right now baby! And if they falter I'm joining the Indian bandwagon.

The Colonel: The collective AL East, except the Yankees, have taken a dump in their pants. And don't look now but the Red Sox are a half a game from passing the birds of Baltimore.

49er16: Sigh. I guess we're headed for a Yankees-Red Sox showdown in the AL East. I hoped we would get some new blood in their but the O's are faltering, the Rays are injured, and the Blue Jays starting pitchers are going down faster than shoulders landing on Omaha Beach.

The Colonel: I actually think the Yankees will run away with that division and sadly the Red Sox will win the "thanks for participating ribbon" otherwise known as the 2nd wild card.
Montgomery "Bud Selig" Burns

49er16: I can see Selig right now in a tiny New York office grinning like Mr. Burns saying, "It's all a part of the plan."

The Colonel: Absolutely.


49er16: Okay who is Selig's "Smithers"? Frank Robinson who has had about every job in the MLB offices or Joe Torre? I feel like it should be Robinson but he scares the shit out of me and just mentioning his name in the conversation is going to get my ass kicked.

The Colonel: Yeah Robinson would kick your ass for even mentioning in the same breathe as Smithers. And then he would kick your ass for not running down the base line to first.

49er16: This post at Fangraphs caught my eye over the weekend. The author asks, "is baseball too expensive?" A lot of people have been asking why African-Americans have quit playing baseball and quite a few different view points have been taken on this issue. I don't remember though if the sport is just plain old too expensive?

The Colonel: I'm not buying this excuse because if you really look at it, all sports are expensive to play except really basketball where you only need shoes. Baseball's problem is that they have ignored African-American players in favor of Latin players. I go back to what Torii Hunter said a few years ago, "Who would you rather sign? A 16-year old Latin player on the cheap? Or a 18-year old African-American kid with an agent?"

49er16: Makes you wonder if the MLB Draft is even needed? Instead of having a draft impose some sort of amateur cap and just let teams sign amateur players if they're from here or from a different country. I know that would never happen because of the Union, but it's an interesting idea.

The Colonel: Interesting concept, but like you said it will never happen. MLB could also throw International players into the draft. I doubt that would happen either. I doubt this would also happen but MLB could put a cap on International signings. Either way I'm not buying that baseball is "too expensive".

49er16: Who knew Torii Hunter was Nostradamus?

1 comment:

  1. I think there is a cap on how much a team can spend on Latin players, but there isn't an age cap. And that's huge.

    ReplyDelete