April 25, 2012

Foul Ball: 12 In A Row!

"Miss me yet, Royals fans?"
Kansas City 3, Cleveland 4: The Royals have now lost 12 games in row. That's not what I want to talk about though, I want to talk about Jonathon Sanchez. Sanchez used to be a Giants and he was without a doubt the most frustrating pitcher I've ever watched. Sanchez could be great or he could suck. Sanchez is the only guy I've seen who could strike out 7 batters in a row and then immediately load the bases off of walks.

So his start on Tuesday night didn't surprise me at all. Jonathon Sanchez threw 115 pitches in 4 2/3 innings. 59 pitches that were thrown were balls. 56 strikes. He walked 7 hitters and hit another batter. All four of his earned runs were scored by runners who either were walked or hit by a pitch. And I couldn't be happier he is no longer on the Giants.

Colorado 4, Pittsburgh 5: Amazing stat by ESPN: The Pirates are the first team since the 1965 Pirates to either not score 5 runs in a game or give up 5 runs in a game through the first 16 games of the season. Pittsburgh finally scored 5 runs in game last night thanks to Clint Barmas and Casey McGehee in the eighth inning.


Seattle 7, Detroit 4: Hey the Mariners actually won a game. Some guy named Adam Liddi hit a home run for the Mariners and Michael Saunders drove in three runs. Michael Saunders? Seriously Detroit? Step up your game.

New York 0, Texas 2: Yu (who?) Darvish went 8 1/3 innings giving up 0 runs, 7 hits, 2 walks, and struck out 10. Ian Kinsler hit the game-winning hit in the first inning with a leadoff home run. Josh Hamilton drove in an insurance run in the third inning. Hiroki Kuroda is lucky George Steinbrenner is resting comfortably in hell, because I'm sure the boss would see his 4 something ERA and call him a "Fat Toad". (Vid below is via Big League Stew)


Miami 1, New York 2: Jose Reyes made his return to Queens and promptly went 0-for-4. Josh Johnson walked in the game-tying run in the seventh inning and then Edward Mujica gave up the game-winning run to Luca Duda-a-doo.

Anaheim 0, Tampa Bay 5: The Angels continued their losing ways in Tampa St. Petersburg on Tuesday night.   Even worse for the Angels they gave up four solo home runs in the game to Desmond Jennings, BJ Upton, Luke Scott, and Carlos Pena. Upton drove in the fifth run with a sac fly. David Price pitched a complete game shutout giving up only 5 hits while striking out 6.

Atlanta 4, Los Angeles 3: The Dodgers are finally coming back down to Earth and last night in the most spectacular way. With the score tied, Matt Kemp mis-played a Martin Prado line drive, crashed into the wall, and allowed Prado to run to third base and the game-winning run to score for the Barves. Also old man Chipper Jones homered on his 40th birthday.

Chipper Jones Long Quote Fail: Via the AP: ''Martin Prado gave me my birthday present. That was the best one of the day,'' Jones said. ''It's been a fun ride, and it's great to have my last birthday in the big leagues turn out the right way. I consider myself pretty lucky to be 40 years old and still playing - in a lot more limited role, but playing nonetheless. I doubt if anybody really expects to be playing on their 40th birthday. I mean, as a kid, you'd like to think you're going to play forever.
''Unfortunately, as many miles and as many innings and as many games as I've got on these legs, it's coming down to the end. So it's bittersweet,'' Jones added. ''I'm glad this is it, because my body's starting to let me know on a nightly basis that I'm 40. I'd love to see how it felt to be 31 again.'' 

Jeez Chipper. A simple "my birthday was great" would have been fine.

Create a Caption: "Ha Ha Dodgers fan" 

1 comment:

  1. Yu is fascinating to watch. When he's pitching, it doesn't look that impressive. But he can sure get people out.

    ReplyDelete