April 18, 2012

Baseball Broadcaster Impressions: Chicago White Sox

"Let me tell ya a story about Yaz."
Continuing my Baseball Broadcaster Impressions project today with a look at the Chicago White Sox broadcasting team.

Chicago Announcers: Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, Steve Stone

Everyone you talk to who isn't a White Sox fan can't stand Hawk Harrelson. He's a gigantic homer who says stupid things like "Can of Corn" and has stupid nicknames for the White Sox players. With all that said though, Hawk Harrelson isn't my least liked announcer.

If you ever get a chance, watch a few of these local broadcasts and you'll see why I can't be too hard on Hawk Harrelson. That's because Harrelson is at least passionate about the game. That's the most I can say about Hawk Harrelson.

And that's where I have to tip my cap to Harrelson that after all these years announcing games he still cares and lets you know he cares by the sound of his voice. And sadly this is a rare trait with some announcers in baseball.


I don't ask much from baseball announcers, but what I do ask is they are at least passionate when announcing. It makes you feel like what you're watching is important. You watch a Indians game and you feel like not only is that game not important, but you feel like taking a nap listening to the Indians broadcasters*.

*I'm not going to be kind to the Indians broadcasters in my Impressions review if that isn't clear yet.

So that's the most I can say for Hawk Harrelson. He's at least passionate for the game and the team he calls games for. And you know what that's good enough.**

**I will now lite myself on fire for praising Harrelson.

Steve Stone on the other I expected more out of. Once upon a time Stone was actually a great broadcaster for the Cubs pairing with Harry Caray and later Chip Caray. Stone could predict what exactly would happen at each moment and could easily break down a game. Stone would also be critical of the team he's calling, which is rare for a local announcer.

Being critical of the team he announced though could be the reason why Stone isn't the broadcaster he used to be. Stone was criticized himself for being too critical of the Cubs during the Dusty Baker years. Stone would quit as the Cubs announcers, take a few years off, and then join the White Sox in their broadcast booth.

I can only imagine being critical of the team you're calling while in the same booth with a homer like Harrelson would mute your voice. Stone though doesn't even predict what's going to happen anymore like he used to with the Cubs. He's just another analyst now.

Radio announcers, Ed Farmer & Darrin Jackson: Once upon a time the White Sox had one of the better radio booths with John Rooney and Ed Farmer. Well Rooney left for St. Louis, Farmer became the lead voice, and Darrin Jackson joined Farmer when he was kicked out of the TV booth in favor of Stone.

Farmer and Jackson sound like a married couple who cannot stand each other but refuse to divorce because of the kids. They bicker with each other over ever little thing that happen on the field when I listened to them. And I'm sorry, but Farmer's voice is horrendous. It sounds like he's drunk when he's calling the games, maybe he is?, and Jackson doesn't have the greatest voice either. I'd rather listen to Harrelson and Stone over this pairing.

2 comments:

  1. I don't ask much from baseball announcers, but what I do ask is they are at least passionate when announcing.

    It does amaze me how many announcers sound like they would rather be anywhere but calling a game. Hawk is obnoxious, but at least he loves the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is absolute bull. What are you doin, Keith? What in the hell are you doin? You've gotta be kidding me! That article is so bad, it is absolutely brutal! That is unbelievable! I'll tell ya what, they have got to start making bloggers accountable -- that is totally absurd. That just tells you, here's a blogger on the blogspot that knows nothing about announcers!

    ReplyDelete