October 18, 2010

Poking Holes in The First BCS Standings

I was going to talk about Roy Oswalt showing a red ball down the Giants mouths and introducing them to the gimp until I saw the first BCS standings of the year. Now look at the BCS standings compared to the AP poll and the coaches poll. Oregon and Boise State are ranked 1 and 2 in the AP poll and coaches poll with Oklahoma ranked 3rd. The BCS standings have Oklahoma ranked 1st with Oregon and Boise State ranked at 2nd and 3rd. Check out where Auburn is ranked in the AP poll and coaches poll compared to the BCS standings. No wonder people complain about the BCS.

I've stayed away from complaining about the BCS for two reasons: so many people already complain about the BCS and I like the bowl system. If you live on the West Coast or in the Midwest you know where I'm coming from. The Rose Bowl means everything in these areas. It's the goal that Pac-10 and Big Ten teams shoot for every year. I guess I love the tradition and pageantry of the Rose Bowl. I love sitting down with my father on New Year's Day and watching the Rose Bowl with him. It's my single favorite game ever year. I don't want to see the Rose Bowl disappear for a playoff. The same goes for the rest of the bowl games. I enjoy the bowl games, especially since it's winter when they're played and you usually can't go outside that time of the year.

Yes I'm that sappy. I'd rather watch the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange bowls than watch a college football playoff because of tradition. There are though several reasons to be hopeful about this year's BCS standings because you can poke holes into the first BCS standings.



Only once has the 1st and 2nd rank teams in the first BCS standings have finished the year in the same spot: As Yahoo's Dan Wetzel pointed out, only once has the 1st and 2nd ranked teams in the first BCS standings have finished the year in the same spot. That happened back in 2006 when both USC and Texas went undefeated. I highly doubt Oklahoma will stay undefeated the entire season. They have a loss in them. They'll lose to Missouri or to Oklahoma State. The Sooners have struggled all season at putting teams away. They struggled against Utah State, Air Force, and Texas. They'll definitely lose at least one game this year.


Oklahoma's Opponents Strengthen Boise State's schedule: The only reason why Oklahoma is ranked ahead of Oregon and Boise State is because of their strength of schedule. Look at Oklahoma's schedule. They played both Utah State and Air Force and struggled to put those teams away. Yes Oklahoma struggled to beat 2-4 Utah State, the same Utah State that plays in the same conference as Boise State. This can only strengthen Boise's schedule.

Auburn and LSU Are Due for Loses: Saying Auburn and LSU live on the edge is a understatement. They're on the edge with momentum pushing them over the cliff. Both teams play each other this week, so someone has to lose already. I also seriously doubt that either of these teams can beat Alabama.

My biggest fear is that BCS keeps leapfrogging other teams over Boise State, despite the Broncos destroying everything in sight. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the BCS leapfrogged Alabama, Auburn, LSU, or Michigan State over Boise State. That's where I hate the BCS and wished we had a playoff in college football.

No comments:

Post a Comment