Today is my favorite day of the year. With the return of college football means a lot of things. Summer is almost over. Christmas is around the corner. The World Series is a month away. And the NFL kicks off.
Today and all Saturday's until December are special days. I especially love these days because I live on the West Coast. Games start at 9 in the mourning and last till midnight. I never miss the action. This is an open thread for you to make comments on the games that you are currently watching. I will update this post with notes from the games that I'm watching. I hope everyone has a spectacular day.
Also here's the announcing schedule and the thread for the Pam Ward Chronicles from Awful Announcing:
Mourning Games Notes:
- I didn't think it was possible, but Greg Paulus even looks like a douche in football pads.
- LOL, Paulus' first snap of his college football career went right over his head and is recovered by Minnesota.
- After some early miscue's, Paulus actually looks good as the Syracuse Quarterback. He has a gun for an arm and is pretty accurate. I think he choose the wrong sport to play for four years.
- Luckily for Tennessee they are playing Western Kentucky University. The Vols committed two early turnovers but WKU couldn't take advantage of them. Super recruit Byrce Brown scored his first touchdown run and Jonathon Crompton threw a touchdown to give Tennessee the 14-0 lead in the 2nd quarter.
- Ohio State is surprisingly throwing the ball today. I didn't think there would be a day where I would see Ohio State throw the ball more than running it.
- Syracuse acutally has an offense. Paulus leads the Orange from a 14-0 deficit to a 20-14 halftime lead. And of course Pam Ward and Ray Bentley are drooling all over Paulus.
- For some reason Jim Tressel took out Terrell Pryor midway through the 2nd quarter. The OSU backup quarterback took the rest of the snaps for the half. I wonder if Pryor is hurt or is OSU trying to save him for next week's game against USC?
- Also Iowa could be this year's Michigan. Iowa is currently losing to FCS Northern Iowa 10-3 at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. And they just committed a huge turnover to N. Iowa.
- What a finish to the Ohio St.-Navy game. With time running out in the 4th quarter, Ohio State went for it on 4th down. Navy stopped them and got the ball back. Then Navy drove down the field and scored and were only down two. Then Navy stupidly tried a pass for the 2-point conversion and it was intercepted by Ohio State and returned for the safety. Ohio State managed to hold onto the lead. If Ohio State plays like this next week against USC, then will be handed another 35-7 loss.
- Kirk Cousins was very impressive in his first start at quarterback for Michigan State. Cousins threw three touchdowns in the game. Receiver Blair White caught two of those touchdowns. Michigan State also had five running backs with 15 yards or more rushing in the game. Is Michigan State the sleeper team of the Big Ten?
- Crazy finish to the Iowa-Northern Iowa game. UNI drives down the field down by one with time running out to set up the field goal. The first attempt is blocked. But UNI would get another chance. And then the second attempt is blocked. Iowa narrowly escapes with the victory. Between Ohio St. and Iowa struggling to beat Navy and UNI, the Big Ten is for another long year.
Noon Notes(I will be live blogging the night games, especially the Cal-Maryland game):
- Very impressive first drives for Georgia and Norte Dame. Both teams drive right down the field and score touchdowns. More impressive was the Georgia defense. The Bulldogs shut down the explosive Oklahoma State offense and force them to punt. Oklahoma St. is this year's Clemson. Vastly overrated.
- Well after calling Oklahoma State overrated, their defense stepped up their game. After letting Georgia drive right down on the field on them, the Ok State defense has held Georgia to just that one touchdown. Meanwhile, their offense continues to struggle in the red zone. This game is far from over. 17-7 Oklahoma State midway through 3rd quarter.
- So much for Illinois being a sleeper team out of the Big Ten. Illinois is losing 30-3 to a Missouri team that lost both Chase Daniel and Jeremy Maclin. Blaine Gilbert has showed why he was highly recruited out of Texas by throwing three touchdowns for Missouri.
- Also so much for Nevada possibly upsetting Norte Dame. The Fighting Irish are up 35-0. Jimmy Clausen has thrown four touchdowns in three quarters. The most starking improvement by Norte Dame has been their offensive line play. I'm still not believing in them until they face USC.
- Speaking of USC, after struggling in their first four possessions, the Trojans are beating over matched San Jose St 42-3. USC's staple of running backs have rushed for five touchdowns. Super Freshman Matt Barkley has also thrown his first career touchdown.