May 16, 2011

Baseball Update: Yankees Mess & Fishing With Mike Schmidt



Brawl And A Good Story: A bawl erupted between the Yankee and Red Sox single A teams the other day with the Yankees top prospect Slade Heathcott at the center of everything. Come to find out Heathcott's story is pretty inspirational. Heathcott battled alcohol problems before ever turning 21 and has already gone to Alcoholics Anonymous to become clean. He's now one of the Yankees top prospects in their system.

Old Man Talks About Old Record:  Old man columnist Hal Bodley of MLB.com talks about how on May 15, 1941, Joe DiMaggio started his incredible 56-game hitting streak. Bodley talks about how DiMaggio's hitting streak is the holy grail of sports records and generally just comes off old sounding.

While I appreciate DiMaggio's record, my biggest problem is with columnists like Bodley romanticizing records like it. Baseball is seen as a dying sport and romanticizing about a 70-year old record does nothing but further the perception of baseball as an old sport.

90's 1st Basemen!:
If you haven't read the running series on 1990's MLB 1st basemen over at Pitcher & Poets, you need to. Guest writers have talked about John Kruk, John Olerud, Jeff Bagwell, J.T. Snow and even Jeff King. I'm biased, but my favorite profile was on J.T. Snow. Snow was one of my all-time favorite Giants and I remember being at a Giants game when Snow hit a grand slam. My uncle who was with me at the game said "I smell a grand salami." Sure enough, Snow hit a grand slam and the Giants would go on to win that day. I've never forgotten that and will always remember J.T. Snow.

Mike Schmidt Wants You America:
The 700 Level has a piece on Mike Schmidt who is now a spokesperson for the World Fishing Network. Schmidt wants America to find the "Ultimate Fishing Town USA".



This makes me want to grab my pole right now and start trolling for Trout. Damn you Michael Jack Schmidt. Damn you for making me want to go fishing right now.

The Yankees Are Old:
And they're not getting younger. And as Joel Sherman pointed out today in the NY Post, Jorge Posada is just a part of the problem. Derek Jeter is aging faster than the Nazi in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and is apparently angering his bosses. Nick Swisher has completely stopped hitting. Their rotation is poor. Tampa Bay isn't going away. Boston got their act together by thrashing the Yankees this past weekend.  It's going to be a long year in the Bronx and unless they start making major trades for pitching health and the "core four" stop pouting, they're not going to improve.

The Great Escape:
Just watch.



He was caught by police outside of the stadium.

1 comment:

  1. I was more of a Wally Joyner fan.

    ReplyDelete