October 17, 2013

Must List: Week 8

Thursday, October 17th
Miami at UNC, 7:30 (ESPN: Rece Davis, Jesse Palmer, David Pollack, Sam Ponder) While everyone is excited over Clemson and Florida State, there's Al Golden making magic happen in Miami. Amazing what happens when you don't have Jacory Harris throwing arm punts to opposing teams and what happens when you have a competent running back in Duke Johnson. By the way, Duke Johnson is my new favorite name.

Saturday, October 19th
Florida at Missouri, Noon (SECTV: Dave Neal, Andre Ward, Cara Capuano) The best SEC game of the weekend and it's on a affiliate network on channels you probably won't get. Anyway I'm amazed at how unlucky the Missouri athletics are. I can go on forever about their basketball team falling short in the tournament but the football team is just as unlucky. Remember when they beat Kansas, played in the Big 12 championship game and lost, and were stuck in a lower tier bowl game while Kansas got to play in the Orange Bowl? Well that bad luck hit them again this week after a great victory over Georgia they lost James Franklin for a while. Missouri can't catch a break.


UCLA at Stanford, 3:30 (ABC/ESPN2: Sean McDonough, Chris Spielman, Shannon Spake) This game doesn't have the same meaning after Stanford's loss last week. Amazingly though since Stanford lost to Utah and Utah isn't in their division, Stanford can still win the Pac-12 North. Hopefully UCLA thrashes furd on Saturday for we're not subjected to their boring brand of football.

Auburn at Texas A&M, 3:30 (CBS: Verne Lundquist, Gary Danielson, Tracy Wolfson) I saw that Auburn was ranked and it got me thinking about how bizarre Gene Chizik's tenure at Auburn was. First he was hired despite furious backlash because Auburn fans and everyone else wanted Turner Gill to get that job (they're probably thankful Gill didn't receive that job because of how bad he was a Kansas). Chizik recruits Cam Newton out of a JUCO, there's shadiness around that recruitment, and they win the national championship. A couple of years after that championship, Chizik is fired after not winning one SEC game. I mean has there been a more bizarre tenure?*

*My most bizarre college football coaching tenure's. 
- Rich Rod at Michigan
- Gene Chizik at Auburn
- Petrino at Arkansas 
- Todd Graham at Rice and Pitt 
- Mike Leach everywhere

Washington at Arizona State, 6:00 (Pac-12 Net: Ted Robinson, Glenn Parker, Drea Avant) Washington has gone from top of the world, to a two-game losing streak. And I have to say it'll probably be a three-game losing streak after they travel to Phoenix. And this is the coach you want USC? You want Sark and his underachievingness?

LSU at Ole Miss, 7:00 (ESPN2: Joe Tessitore, Matt Millen, Maria Taylor) The power of hype and the weakness of conferences reared it's head this week when 8 SEC teams were placed in the AP top 25. Why not just add every SEC to the Top 25 at this point? I mean South Carolina has two losses and are still ahead of undefeated Baylor in the poll. Why not just give the SEC their own poll and a poll for everyone else at this point?

USC at Notre Dame, 7:30 (NBC: Dan Hicks, Mike Mayock, Alex Flanagan) If USC and Notre Dame play each other and no one notices, does it happen?

Florida State at Clemson, 8:00 (ABC: Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit, Heather Cox) This is a type of game where I wished college football still allowed ties to end games. Wouldn't it be the most Florida State and Clemson thing if these two teams played, ended the game on a tie, and both were shut out of the national championship game because of that one tie?

Oregon State at Cal, 10:30 (ESPN2: Mark Jones, Brock Huard) I only mention this game because I'm sick and tired of Pac-12 games being played at 7:30 at night. I realize that these are the only games that can be played at that time but Christ I would love the Pac-12 to grow some balls and say, "NO! We're not playing another game at 7:30". It'll never happen though.

Recipe of the Week, Deviled Green Goblin Eggs: James Craven* sent me this recipe and I have to ask, what kind of treats does he gives kids on Halloween? Does he really give trick and treaters deviled eggs? "Oh I love your Superman costume, here's a deviled egg." I would immediately turn around and throw that egg at his car.

*I'm kidding of course. If I know JC as well as I think, he actually gives the kids the big candy bars and not the little mini's and the kids will remember his house forever. I remember the houses that gave the big candy bars but that's probably because I'm fat and fat people remember things like that.

Alcoholic Beverage of the Week, Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale: Who knew one of the best beers I've ever tasted could come out of Salt Lake City, Utah but it did. What makes this beer so good is that it's been aged like wine so that gives it a wonderful malty taste.

3 comments:

  1. I know you're kidding. I once gave out Mondo juice bottles for Halloween with a label reading "Drink Me" as Alice in Wonderland one year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get into Halloween like you but I can't. Even as a kid it barely interested me.

      Delete
  2. CBS suits must really hate Mizzou. They're even passing on showing next week's Mizzou/South Carolina showdown in favor of Bama blowing out Tennessee by 5 touchdowns.

    ReplyDelete