May 22, 2012

Looking Back at My Predictions

I hate making predictions at the beginning of the year. Especially in baseball where the season is terribly long and all it takes is one bad or good month and a team could slide up or down the leader-board. So my predictions were a little more broad. Let's see how my predictions are holding up a quarter of the way through the season.

"Yu Darvish's Hair Will Start a Trend"- Well the Yusanity didn't exactly take off like I thought it would. I think the Japanese pitcher shine has been worn off thanks to Dice-K. Or perhaps because Yu plays in Texas and not on one of the coasts he hasn't been noticed by anyone besides baseball nerds?

"Jamie Moyer will win 10 games this year"- I predicted that Moyer will beat the Giants at least 4 times as well. While I still believe Moyer will reach 10 wins this year, he won't have four wins against the Giants since San Francisco has already defeated Moyer this year. If Moyer played for any other team besides the terrible Rockies, I would be more confident in this prediction.

"Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera will combine for 90 home runs and 1,500 fat jokes"- I'm wiping my brow thankful I didn't predict that the Tigers would lead the league in errors*. Cabrera and Fielder have so far combined for 15 home runs and unless one of them goes on a Matt Kemp or Josh Hamilton like tear, then this prediction will fall short. I still believe though they will both combine for over 80 home runs.

*If I had made that prediction, karma would have taken a huge piece out of my ass because my Giants is the team that leads the league in errors.


"The aquarium behind home plate at the Marlins park will be gone in two years"- The aquarium hasn't been as big of distraction as I thought it would be. The fish in that tank though better pray Stanton doesn't hit a foul ball into it like he did yesterday with that home run into the scoreboard.

"Washington won't make the playoffs"- The season will still young and the Nationals have been hammered by injuries but...................................whoops.

"Phillies fans will on their knees praying for a healthy Ryan Howard and Chase Utley in August"- When a combination of Laynce Nix, Freddy Galvis, Juan Pierre, and Ty Wigginton is playing almost everyday then you would also be praying for Howard and Utley to return to the lineup even if they're not healthy yet.

"The Mets and Orioles will be terrible again."- The Orioles are 27-16. The Mets are 22-20. Whoops. There's still hope though the Mets will remember they are still the LOLMETS.

"Joe Maddon will be called a genius over 100 times this year"- With the injury to Evan Longoria and the Rays still hanging tough in the AL East, the praise for Maddon will be off the charts. Fangraphs should keep data for these sort of things.

"The Anaheim Angels of California won't make the playoffs"- The Angels are in last place and are 7 games below .500. I'm liking this prediction more and more everyday.

"The NL West will continue to suck"- Another prediction I'm liking more and more. It burns my craw though it's the Dodgers that lead the division.

"Lew Wolff will sell the Oakland A's"- With the latest stadium news for the A's at this point I wouldn't be surprised now if the A's flat move from the bay area at this point.

"My surprise team is the Toronto Blue Jays"- The Blue Jays are 24-19 and three games out of first place in the AL East. No matter who wins the AL East, it certainly is the funniest division to watch.

"Bryce Harper will make his debut this season"- I predicted Harper would make his debut around the All-Star break. He made his debut in late April. I was still correct though in saying he would make his debut this season.

"The Yankees will tread that line between making the playoffs and collapse"- After last night's loss to the Royals, the Yankees are 21-21 on the year and are tied with the Red Sox for last place. The Yankees will always be a threat offensively, even if A-Rod and Teixeira are struggling, but it's their pitching that wretched. If I was a Yankees fan, I would cringe every time a pitcher took the mound who isn't named C.C. Sabathia.

"The Red Sox will be a circus all year long"- This prediction came true faster than anyone thought it would. The Red Sox were a circus before the annual Patriots Day game with the Youkilis-Valentine scuffle. And I haven't even brought up the fact Josh Beckett was golfing on his day off after taking a start off with an injury. The Red Sox look like they'll be pretty inconsistent all year long meaning they'll be a circus all year long.

"This will be an interesting year in baseball"- Between the AL East flip job, Harper and the Nationals rise, Pujols struggling, the Tigers mediocrity, this baseball season has been quite fascinating so far.

I was right about the Red Sox and Yankees so that means I was correct with 100% of my predictions.

1 comment:

  1. A's fans will continue to whine and feel a sense of righteous indignation. For a purported and self proclaimed "blue collar" fan base, they certainly have an obnoxious sense of entitlement.

    ReplyDelete