February 4, 2011

Super Bowl XLV Prediction

Super Bowl week finally wraps up. All the story-lines I predicted would be beaten into the ground have come true. Big Ben Redemption. Steelers dynasty. Aaron Rodgers getting out of Favre's shadow. Jerry Jones and Cowboy Stadium. Labor strife. And the weather.

Oh the weather. This has been a nonstop topic all week. I mean it's been talked about all week by everyone. Here's my take, reporters need to stop complaining about the weather. Not to be a moralist, but have these reporters complaining about the weather seen what is happening to the reporters in Egypt? Yes it's cold and it snowed. Yes Dallas is unprepared for the snow if they're putting sand on the roads instead of salt. How many times will Dallas get a Super Bowl after this year? I like the Super Bowl in other cities besides New Orleans, Miami, San Diego, and Tampa because it breaks up the monotony.

Enough with all of that and lets talk about the actual game. Mookie already gave you reasons why you should root for the Packers. If you know me and know what teams I root for, you know I'm rooting for the Packers as well. I also just can't root for the Steelers. I can't fathom them having two more Super Bowls than the 49ers. I just don't want it to happen. Will the Packers win though?

Yes I'm predicting a 24-21 Packers victory. I don't think it will be that high scoring and will probably be a little boring in the first half as both offenses try to find holes in the defenses. I think at the start of the third quarter the Packers will pull away, but they won't finish off the Steelers just like how they didn't finish off the Eagles and Bears in the playoffs. The Packers defense will have to hold off the Steelers and we'll have some sort of goal-line stand in the fourth quarter.

I'm also predicting the Packers will win this game based on bad karma for the Steelers. Okay that argument is a little thin, but here me out. In the first 30 years of existence for the Steelers, they were worse than the Lions and Browns. Then Art Rooney made a deal with the devil and the Steelers haven't looked back. Look at how many breaks they have gotten. The Immaculate Reception. Referee calls favoring them in the AFC title game against Houston. Bill Leavy in Super Bowl XL. Mike Vanderjagt. I could go on and on. They've been too lucky the past 40 years. Also they have Ben Roethlisberger on their team and he's been accused of two different sexual assaults and hasn't even been charged with a crime. Something is going to turn against them in Super Bowl XLV. A call might not go their way, a turnover, something. You can't be this successful this long without something bad happening to you.

(Note: I'll have an open thread up tomorrow for anyone who wants to discuss college basketball, NBA, and the NHL. I won't be around since I'm going to the Giants FanFest, but that shouldn't stop you from talking about the sports action on Saturday. Then on Sunday, I'll host the Live Blog since Justin hosted the Live Blog last week.)

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sean McDonough, working with a real pro today in Dan Dakich." - Sean McDonough
    "A real pro? As opposed to what?" - Dan Dakich
    "What I have to look forward to every Monday night." - Sean McDonough

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raft: "we're the only people here not wearing orange or purple"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brando: "The bank is open early on a Saturday morn."

    Raft: "A little smooch"

    /catch phrase overload

    ReplyDelete
  7. Less than a week after thrashing Duke, St. John's goes down to UCLA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Missed a rare miss for Scootie." - Mark Kestecher

    ReplyDelete
  9. RJBO must be glued to this Iowa-Indiana game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indiana 41, Iowa 39 with 15:02 left in the game.

    Instant classic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephen Bardo is sucking up to Iowa and Indiana.

    Somewhere RJBO weeps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 62-62 between Iowa and Indiana.

    /Why is ESPN televising this?
    //I'd them show Harvard-Princeton

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tough day for Mookie.

    Wolverhampton 2-1 Manchester United and now Washington is 7.7 seconds away from losing to Oregon on that repulsive court.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's times like this where I wish I was wrong about Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why on earth is an SEC game the Saturday Primetime game?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went to the Giants FanFest and forgot to post the open thread for today. Oh well. I'll host the live blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete