January 21, 2011

Super Bowl Picks

Sadly this is our last weekend where there will be more than one football until September. So enjoy this weekend while it lasts because football isn't coming back for a while and also because the NFL may not be coming back for a while.

NFC Championship Game
#6 Green Bay Packers vs. #2 Chicago Bears 3:00 (Fox - Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, SR: Pam Oliver and Chris Myers)
- I've gone back and forth on this game. Do I stick to my loyalty to Aaron Rodgers and pick Green Bay? Do I pick Chicago because their defense is slightly better? Do I pick Green Bay because their offense has been nearly unstoppable in the playoffs? Do I pick Chicago because Cutler hasn't made an mistake in the playoffs?

I'm picking Green Bay because I could eventually answer this question. Which quarterback do I trust the most? Sorry, but I trust Aaron Rodgers more. Has Cutler not thrown as many interceptions lately? Yes, but at the end of the day I still don't trust Cutler. The problem with quarterbacks like Cutler is that they think there isn't a throw they can't make. Sometime during the NFC Championship Cutler will make a throw that he shouldn't and it will cost the Bears.

AFC Championship Game
#6 New York Jets vs. #2 Pittsburgh Steelers 6:30 (CBS - Jim Nantz and Phil Simms, SR: Steve Tasker)
I'm picking the Jets out of sheer spite. I'm tired of the Steelers. I'm tired of how they catch all the breaks, Immaculate Reception/Bill Leavy Super Bowl XL to name two, I'm tired of seeing them. I'm not the biggest fan of the Jets bravado and I'm certainly not looking forward to two more weeks of Rex Ryan press conferences, but I'm just tired of the Steelers.

I'm also picking the Jets because of Bart Scott. Steve Politi of the Star-Ledger interviewed former wrestling announcer Mean Gene Okerlund who said Scott would be an excellent wrestler because of his microphone skills. 
“On a scale of one to 10,” he said in that familiar deep voice, “I would give him an eight. A good interview has to create emotion. You can do that through love or hate, or just by entertaining people, and he does that.”
That's right daddy, Bart Scott is the next Rock.



I'll have an open thread up tomorrow for college basketball games and either Justin or I will have the live blog for the championship games.

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea why, but God loves Pittsburgh. Except during baseball season.

    /pours one out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people who bet on sports may be simply betting on the games to make them more exciting, or are betting on their favorite teams, but if you are like me you are betting on sports to MAKE MONEY

    ReplyDelete