October 1, 2010

Cincinnati is a Miserable City

The furthest east I've ever traveled in my life was to Cincinnati, Ohio. I was attending the national convention for the Future Farmers of America in Louisville, Kentucky during my senior year of high school. As I've mentioned before here and live blogs, I grew up in the country. So it shouldn't surprise anyone that I attended the FFA national convention. (I actually attended the national convention twice. Once in Louisville and once in Indianapolis where I received my American Farmer degree.)

When I was attending the national convention in Louisville, our group decided to visit the Bass Pro Shops. Like I said, we grew up in the country were people regularly fish and hunt. Bass Pro Shops is to us, what Saks Fifth Avenue is too heiress's. We had a problem though, the Bass Pro Shops were in Cincinnati. So we traveled the two hours from Louisville to Cincinnati, but not without getting lost in Indiana fist. Anyways we finally made it to the Bass Pro Shops, did our shopping (I bought a fishing reel for my father.), and went to have something to eat. That's where our trouble started.



We decided to eat at a restaurant in Cincinnati. As soon as we walked into this place, I could tell we were not about to enjoy our meals. The people working in there were miserable. I don't know if they were mad because they were working there or were mad about living in Cincinnati. Either way they were pissed, especially our waitress. The place where we ate, was your typical burger joint. Think Red Robin or Ruby Tuesday.

The teacher we were with noticed that the special of the day was "Mahi-mahi." For those of you who don't know Mahi-mahi are a tropical fish that is typically served in Mexico or Hawaii. I've had Mahi-mahi and it's delicious, especially if it's fresh. Mahi-mahi isn't fresh in Ohio. So when my teacher realized that Mahi-mahi was the special of the day he made the sarcastic remark "Are they making a fall run up the Ohio River?" Needless to say our waitress wasn't laughing and just made a snide remark like, "No, they're not." Once again she looked miserable and wasn't in the mood for a good laugh. Needless to say the food at this place was miserable and we were all sick after we ate there.

Driving out of Cincinnati was even more miserable. The roads were terrible (And I've driven on country roads with sand traps as pot holes), the buildings were covered in graffiti, and the Ohio River looked disgusting. Just a miserable city to visit and I hope I never have to go back. (When the convention was in Indianapolis, we visited a Bass Pro Shop, but we visited a newly built one in Clarksville, Indiana.)

I bring this all up because the Cincinnati Reds clinched their first playoff spot in 15 years. The Reds celebrated like every other playoff team with Champagne and cigars. Well there were fiver miserable cretins who didn't like the fact that the Reds were violating the Ohio indoor-smoking ban and decided to rat the Reds out to the health department. Via the Cincinnati Inquirer
Five people called a statewide smoking ban complaint hotline, Merz said. Those complaints were sent to the city health department today for investigation. Castellini will get letter soon notifying him of the alleged violation.

State law requires a health inspector to go out within 30 days at about the same time of day as the alleged violation, Merz said. That means an inspector might be attending one of the playoff games to see if anyone is smoking then.
Like I said, Cincinnati is full of miserable people. Five cretins felt the need to rat out the city's baseball team because they were celebrating indoors with a victory cigar. Look I hate the smell of smoke just as much as the next person, but I can deal with it as long as it's in celebration of winning a championship or having sex.

With all that said, it was probably the miserable people from St. Louis who ratted out the Reds after I just used 800 words ripping to shreds the town of Cincinnati.

(Cincinnati Inquirer via Big League Stew)

No comments:

Post a Comment